Monday, August 26, 2013

Time to dust off the old Crystal Ball!


It is that time of year…finally!  The Gamecocks kick off the season on Thursday night against the Tar Heels and it is about time.  So in the spirit of the new football season, here are my predictions for how we will do in 2013.  Last year I predicted us to go 9-3 so I was one game off.  (Please note I will also be doing the weekly Claws and Paws picks with my buddy Willy Powell over at The Tiger Swag). 

USC fans roll into this season even more confident and hyped up than in 2012 if that’s possible.  There are many good reasons for us to feel that way.  Frankly, we only have a couple of question marks as I have written about over the summer:  1. New linebackers across the board?; 2. Will we have enough depth in the secondary?;  3. Can Connor Shaw land a signature road win in the SEC as a starter?  I suppose if you wanted to just absolutely be completely negative you could also bring up others, but in reality those are our weaknesses.

I am far from the “negative nelly” I used to be as a Gamecock fan, but I still see things realistically.  As I did last year, I see this year’s team as better and improved from 2012.  And unlike previous years, I think our schedule is actually fair.  It is difficult as always of course, but fair.  So let’s break down the 12 contests this way:

Probable wins:   UNC, @ C. Fla., Vandy, Kentucky, @ Tenn., Miss. State, Coastal Carolina.
Probable loss:    @ Georgia
Land Mines:       @ Arkansas, @ Mizzou, Florida, Clemson
Similar to last year, the season will come down to how we handle 1/3 of the slate.  We went 3-1 in those games (@ Florida, Arkansas, Mizzou and @ Clemson) and ended up 10-2.  I think we’ll match that this fall and go 10-2 again.  I see us adding wins against Florida, Mizzou and Clemson while stubbing our toe in Fayetteville. 

You know there are actually some USC fans that would consider that a disappointment.  God bless ‘em.  I have lived through 1-21 and several decades of bad football in my day.  No, I am nowhere close to being “unhappy” with a 10-2 mark.  I’ll leave that to my son’s generation.  After all, we only have five seniors on this year’s roster.  Six if you count Clowney which you certainly should.  Things are going to be just fine in Columbia for years to come.  I will choose to enjoy the ride instead of enduring it. 

10 wins, 2 losses and maybe a division title depending on what happens in Athens.  I am good with that. 

It’s a great time to be a Gamecock!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CLICK THE LINK ABOVE TO VIEW THE LATEST ARTICLE FROM THE COCK-A-BOOSTER....

We will review all comments before they appear on the blog. Cock-A-Booster has final say in what appears on the blog and what is withheld. Please keep your comments PG-rated.