Monday, August 20, 2012

Cockabooster returns with 2012 Predictions!


Yes, yes, the Cockabooster has largely taken the Dog Days off this year due to a family relocation and job change in my “real world” life.  I have missed some golden material from Dabo and crew in the upstate barns but I will be remedying that shortly.  So we are back and ready to go with football approaching and what better way to return than with my predictions for the Gamecocks this fall?  

(Before I do that, let me say that I hope all fans, Clemson and Carolina alike, have been enjoying my friend Willy Powell’s blog, www.thetigerswag.com  He has done a great job and we will start doing some joint articles in the future.)  

CONNOR SHAW
So onto my picks we go.  The featherheads in the Garnet and Black are expecting a big year, and why wouldn’t they?  Connor Shaw proved he can handle the reins as an SEC quarterback, Clowney and Taylor bookend a ferocious looking defense, and Lattimore is hopefully ready for an entire season of national headlines and publicity as (arguably) the nation’s top running back.  The offensive line is MUCH better than last year’s group and the talent at wide receiver is tremendous.   Frankly, the only two “question marks” for me are some slight concern about the secondary and having to replace the playmaking ability of Ingram, Gilmore, Allen and Alshon.  

Since I believe every word I just typed is accurate, why am I not predicting a parade and championships?  Well, to be honest there is that old bugaboo that comes with the Southeastern Conference:  the schedule.  Now I know everyone outside of Athens has to play a tough conference schedule every year, but just because you have to accept playing it every year, it is still a factor when projecting wins and losses. 
I think this Carolina squad is overall better than last year’s.  Just my opinion, humble as always.  Having said that, I have us at 9-3 when it is all said and done.  Here is my breakdown: 

Sure wins:                      ECU, UAB, Wofford, @Kentucky
Probably should lose:     @LSU
Probably should win:      @Vandy, Tennessee, Georgia
Swing games:                  Mizzou, Arkansas, @Florida, @Klimpsun

Most folks may switch a game or two around into other categories, but that’s about where the Gamecocks are in most people’s minds.  I see us losing to LSU and losing one each of these sets of three:   
1.  Florida, Vandy and Clemson
2.  Mizzou, Georgia and Arkansas

JADAVEON CLOWNEY
Is 9-3 negative?  I guess so, but honestly I think we’re still a better team than last year.  We won all of our close games in 2011 and that was great.  But that wheel can turn the other way and it might this year.  I am just glad I lived to see a day when I am predicting us to win 9 games and it is viewed as a bad thing.  Steve Spurrier has definitely changed the mindset of this University and that is awesome.  





PARTICIPATE IN OUR NEW POLL TO THE RIGHT (TOP OF COLUMN). HOW MANY GAMES DO YOU THINK THE GAMECOCKS WILL WIN THIS YEAR?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CLICK THE LINK ABOVE TO VIEW THE LATEST ARTICLE FROM THE COCK-A-BOOSTER....

We will review all comments before they appear on the blog. Cock-A-Booster has final say in what appears on the blog and what is withheld. Please keep your comments PG-rated.